VPS or Dedicated Server Hosting
If you are reading this article, most probably you are currently using shared hosting. In this post, we have prepared a checklist for you to identify if your business is about to outgrow your current hosting service.
You know that it’s time to upgrade your web hosting to a better and more secured environment, further grow your website and serve your growing visitors.
What is VPS Hosting?
VPS hosting is a blend and middle of shared hosting and dedicated server hosting, in terms of server resources, hosting environment, pricing, etc.
Like shared hosting, the server resources of VPS are also shared by multiple accounts but it’s much less populated.
Moreover, each account is an individual virtual machine that can be independently rebooted. This serves as strict protection which keeps you secured from other parties.
6 Proven Benefits of Using VPS
- A VPS hosting is cheaper than dedicated server hosting plan.
- It provides you with the power of customization according to your need.
- In VPS hosting, you can start your virtual environment with minimum resources according to your need. After a while, you can gradually grow according to your own plan.
- VPS hosting provides you with more control in VPN than shared hosting. Here, you will be able to use scripts according to your needs.
- VPS Server hosting offers the same technical support as shared hosting although the quality may vary. It will also help you with maintenance services.
- You are able to install your preferred antivirus or security software to counter hackers and malicious attacks.
What is Dedicated Server Hosting?
As the name implies, when you are using a dedicated server hosting, the entire physical server is dedicated to serving your website, without sharing resources with anyone. Similar to VPS, you can simply install anything on your server.
Generally, dedicated server hosting is suitable for large companies with an application-heavy website or a large e-commerce website. Certainly, it is more expensive than VPS.
Benefits of Using Dedicated Server Hosting
- Unshared server resources: With dedicated server hosting, you get complete resources of a single server; no other websites will share or interfere with the CPU or RAM of the server. This can prevent the bad scripts of other websites from slowing down your server.
- Maximum performance and security: Dedicated server hosting is best suited for medium and high traffic websites. However, if your website has huge traffic it offers higher reliability and stability. A dedicated server will keep you away from spammers and fraud websites.
- Flexibility: It provides flexibility and the power of customization on the server to fulfil different needs on CPU, RAM, disk space and software.
- Unique IP address: Dedicated server hosting provides you with your own unique IP address. Having a unique IP address is important for running a large e-business, which requires SSL for the processing of credit cards.
Things to take note of before making a switch
No matter which option you choose, bear in mind that both VPS hosting and dedicated server hosting requires certain technical skills and knowledge from the user to handle it, especially when it comes to customization and maintenance.
Your company might consider hiring an IT support staff to take care of it.
However, the technical support offered by hosting providers can be sufficient if you are not looking for complex customization or installation.
For a completely hassle-free solution, consider subscribing to a managed service.
A managed service is rather similar to managed shared hosting, where server maintenance is taken care of by the hosting provider, which includes security enhancement, application management and more.
Exabytes provides managed service for both VPS and Dedicated Server Hosting for as low as $25 per month.
The Bottom Line
Economically speaking, both hosting options are much more expensive when compared to shared hosting.
However, both come with their own set of benefits. Hence, decisions should be made based on usage, traffic projection, and the upcoming plan for your website.
If you’re still in doubt, feel free to get in touch with our hosting specialists, best dedicated server in Singapore who will be pleased to recommend the best fit hosting service based on your needs and budget, and ensure you don’t spend extra but still enjoy the best performance hosting solution for your website!