“In 2015, www.360.com was sold for a whopping $17 millions!”
A domain name is no doubt a deciding factor that determines the success or failure of your marketing efforts when it comes to starting a business, launching a blog, or building a website. A little bit of research is greatly needed in order to choose the best domain name to represent your business.
Today, numeric domains are steadily growing in value and the worth – much higher than we can imagine!
360.com appears to be the most expensive numeric domain name in 2015 with a selling price of $17 million bought by QiHoo, a chinese company. It is followed by 114.com for $2.1 million and 88888.com for $245 000 in 2013. According to DomainSherpa.com, 80% of the company buying a numeric domain name are from China.
So why? Basically it comes down to one reason, they are tied to Chinese culture. These numbers have an important meaning associated with the chinese words.
1. Eight is king. I think most people are aware that eight is a lucky number in Asia that means prosperity or wealth.
- A man in Hangzhou offered to sell his license plate reading A88888 for RMB 1.12 million (roughly $164,000 USD).
- A telephone number with all 8s was sold for USD $270,723 in Chengdu, China.
- One of the largest casino and poker operators in the world, 888 Holdings, is owns the domain 888.com.
2. Six and Nine is good too. The number 6 represents wealth in Cantonese while the number 9 was historically associated with the Emperor of China, which also symbolizes harmony.
3. Four is bad. Not only it means death in China, but it represents bad luck in Japan and Korea too. If you do your own research about the value of numeric domains, you see that if the number 4 is present in the domain, it actually makes the domain drop in value up to 50%. But there is exception, where underlying culture plays an important role.
4. Look for meaning. Every number can be pronounced in a certain way in chinese. The combination of the numbers can mean certain things. For eg., 5 is pronounced as “wu” which similarly sounds like “wo”, that means “I”. 1 is pronounced as”yao”, meaning “to want”. 9 is pronounced as “jiu” which means alcohol in Chinese. So when 519 puts together, it means “wo yao jiu” (I want alcohol) – which is used for a wine e-commerce in China.
For your information, domains which contain only premium numbers are more likely to be remembered and valued. The market for numeric domains is a SECONDARY MARKET. Therefore, the possibility of registering domains and then reselling them for profit is close to zero.
Golden rule from Giuseppe, CEO and founder of GGRG.com, “If a numeric domain is available for registration, 99% of the time, it is worthless.”
SG Domain Having Numeric SG Domains Now! Order Now
You can get your online presence with numeric domain now! More meaningful, More recognizable
So what about you? What is your choice? 🙂