If you are thinking of subscribing to a dedicated server hosting plan for your business but aren’t sure how to choose the best fit, this article can definitely help.
First, it’s important to understand your requirements based on the current usage, the nature of the project, and the projection of growth. Generally, there are 4 features to look at when choosing the right dedicated server hosting.
1. Server Specifications
Like buying a smartphone or a CPU, the first thing to consider should be the server specifications. Here’s a checklist and some tips for you.
- Tip: A high-end processor like XEON or dual XEON will help your server handle complicated and specialized applications.
- Tip: Always go for an unlimited bandwidth server hosting plan, your provider should not limit your traffic volume!
- Memory (RAM)
- Tip: More RAM will help enhance your website performance even if you are having high volume of concurrent visitors. It helps in boosting server efficiency and loading speed.
- Storage Space
- Tip: Only go for “TB”, no more “GB” in 2021!
- Operating System (OS)
- Tip: Linux or Windows, depending on what applications you are running. You will need a Windows Server if you are hosting MS SQL, ASP.NET or Microsoft IIS. On the other hand, you’ll need a Linux server if you are hosting LAMP or MEAN, or any applications that don’t need a Microsoft license.
Before buying a dedicated server hosting, you should understand more from the provider regarding its server security technology and environment. For instance, Exabytes provides first-grade network-based DDoS mitigation and world-class protection with 24×7 monitoring.
In addition, backup is also crucial to businesses. All Exabytes server hosting comes with 14-Day Retention Daily off-server backup by Idera R1Soft.
3. Data Centre
To ensure your website is up and running 24/7 and serves your visitors well, you need to choose a data centre that is nearest to them. In this case, Singapore Data Centre should be your first choice.
Exabytes’ data centres are located in BDx Singapore Data Centre and Rack Central 1 (RC1). Both are carrier-class Tier 3 data centres in Paya Lebar and Tai Seng Drive respectively.
4. Technical Support
Taking care of a dedicated server seems technically complex, hence, having a professional dedicated technical support team is another big plus that you should consider before deciding on a dedicated server hosting. And of course, Exabytes does provide 24/7/365 premium dedicated support, to help monitor your server with immediate response to issues and glitches, including traffic spike.
The Bottom Line
You can always kick-start with a low price server hosting plan and upgrade as your business grows. Hosting providers typically have a wide range of hosting plans, depending on the specifications and pricing. Most importantly, you need to understand your current usage, future projection and the requirements of the server.
If you have any questions on configuring your first dedicated server hosting for your business, feel free to get in touch with our dedicated server specialists for a free consultation!