How scammers work?
Let’s talk about how scammers steal your personal information. Once you register a domain, your personal information such as name, contact number, email are published publicly in the Whois Public Internet Directory. This is part of the domain name registration process. Now anyone can access and view your information anytime at website such as https://www.whois.com/. These scammers then create a fake/scam email to trick you based on the information they harvest from WHOIS, and that’s why most of the victims will trust the scam emails as they appear to have all the accurate personal information of the victims.
In the the image below, the scammer knows that the owner of the domain registered his/her domain at Exabytes Network. In order to confuse the owner, the scammer sends a fake invoice to gain trust from the owner. They will then ask for payment for their domain names.
This type of scam happens on the Internet every single day. You are strongly advised to exercise extra caution when opening any email. Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to clarify if you have received any e-mails similar to this.
Most hosting companies/domain registrars, including Exabytes, will allow their customers to register their domain names “privately.” The domain registrars will, for a fee, provide alternate contact information for your listing in the WHOIS database. If you want to stop getting these scam emails, contact Exabytes to get Whois ID Protection to stay protected.
How to differentiate a real Exabytes invoice from a scam email?
- Sender email : Make sure the sender email is legit. Be cautious if the sender email looks weird.
- Company Logo : Usually email will have company logo. Pay extra attention if you received email without company logo.
- Company Signature : Company Signature usually will show companies details. Check on the details whether it is legit or not.
Things you can do to stay safe from Scam Mail:
- Check the email sender. Please only trust the communications from Exabytes and other trusted companies.
- If you aren’t sure, or need a verification for any suspicious email about your website hosting products, please feel free to contact our email@example.com to clarify.
- Hide your private information such as email address, contact number and office/house address with Whois ID Protection to stay protected from scam and fraud cases.
Be safe and add WhoIs ID Protection to your domains. What happens when you have WHOIS ID Protection?
- Your Information will be locked because accessibility have been limited by Domain Privacy Protection Service’s contact information. No one will be able to search for your name, address, email or phone number through the WHOIS database except for us.
- Your domains still belongs and fully controlled by you even your personal information is no longer available in the public WHOIS database. You have the rights to sell, transfer or renew your domains.
- Prevent spammers and telemarketers from invading your privacy. With Whois ID Protection, your email address available to public is constantly changing. So while it is being harvested and redistributed, it will change and the previous email address will no longer work for spammers.
Nothing is more important than having a secure online experience that ensures total peace of mind. Remember, prevention is always better than cure! Stay safe in the internet world!