Over a hundred of customers transfer their domain and hosting to Exabytes each month, and through these experience in website migrating websites, we have been able to identify a few areas that need to be considered before, during and after the migration.
From our experience, the following are one of the most common reasons for transfer:
Switching to a new website host can be a complicated process, and the decision to transfer is never an easy one. Are you familiar with the transfer procedures? If you do, you will be able to make a more informed decision.
Read on to find out the process of transfer, and how you can have a peace of mind before, during and after website migration.
Transfer process (Or take the easy way out – explained at bottom)
- Evaluate and choose the right web host for based on a number of factors, such as cost, required space, and server configuration etc. and choose the right hosting plan that fits your needs.
- Connect to the old host’s FTP and download all your files. Next, connect to the new host’s FTP and upload all your files (maintain the same file and folder structure)
- Backup any databases with your old host and upload the backup files to the new host via FTP.
- Restore your databases from those backup files via SSH or cPanel’s phpMyAdmin.
- Contact the new host to find out the new DNS settings for your domain name.
- Wait 48 hours (two days) before your site can be up and running again. Contact your old host and cancel your hosting account with them.
Take the easy way out
Get a hosting provider to get all the steps done!
If you have any doubt/question regarding domain and hosting transfer, please feel free to send us an email at [email protected] We offer domain and hosting transfer service and an extension of your hosting period up to 12 months under Switch Program.